Monday, January 3, 2011

Hospital Not Cabin

What a week! This was definitely a different Christmas break for us.  Instead of being at the cabin, as is our tradition between Christmas and New Years, Craig spent 8 days in Timpanogos Hospital. We are now home and getting back into the normal routine.  Tomorrow, Tuesday January 4th, Craig is scheduled to begin his next round of chemo.  Because of the recent setback we’re not sure what treatment, if any, the Dr. will order.  It seems odd that we just brought him home from being very sick, and now we’re taking him to get chemo to make him sick all over again.  But hopefully being sick from the chemo will make him better in the long run.

My New Year’s resolutions are to give all the love and support I can to my husband and children.  Craig needs my help to get through this cancer and to lighten his load us much as possible so that he can continue to work and support our family.  I need to help my children to understand what Craig is going through and how they can help both of us.  This is a lot for them to cope with also but with each other’s help, our loving Heavenly Father, family, and friends, we will make it through this.

We had the most wonderful Nurses, CNA’s, and Doctors while Craig was in the hospital.  They were all wonderful, but two young men really went over the top, Jared and Robert.  Craig learned to love them as brothers in a very short time.  On Sunday he invited them to come in while some Priesthood holders gave them the sacrament.  He then asked Jared to give him a Priesthood blessing.  I was not with them, but Craig said it was a wonderful blessing and that he felt honored to receive it.  When I arrived at the hospital later that day I thanked Jared for being a worthy Priesthood holder and for giving Craig such a comforting blessing.  He returned the thanks to us and said that it was an honor for him to do it.  I was thanking him for his services, and he was thanking us for the opportunity to serve.

That’s what it is all about.  Giving and receiving service, receiving and then paying it forward.  We have been receiving so many blessings from so many people.  It is not enough to write Thank you cards, or even to just say thank you.  In all of our lives there is a time when we need to be the “Givers”, and then also times when we need to be the “Receivers”.  We obviously receive blessings when we are on the “receiving” end, and also the person that is giving receives blessings.  I am a firm believer in people being put on our paths for certain reasons.  I am very sorry that Craig had to be in the hospital but the experiences that we had there with two fine young men will never be forgotten.

The Gospel is amazing and all of the tender mercies that are put in our pathway for us to learn from are as well.  We have many friends here on earth that we consider to be angels, and now we consider Jared and Robert at Timpanogos Hospital our two newest ones.   

2 comments:

  1. Marsha I'm am so thankful to you and your family for being such an example to me. You have been burdened by this terrible experience and yet your testimony and belief in the gospel is so strong. I don't think I would be half as strong as you all are being. You are such an inspiration to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate your sharing your self and your family with me. Think of you often and send my thoughts and prayers for you, Craig and your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought for a long time that the adage "It is better to give than to receive" needed to be tweaked. Just as your blog post said there are times for both giving and receiving. Perhaps the phrase should say, "Although it may be better to give than to receive,it is best to both give and receive." You are exemplary in both aspects. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Go forward with faith.
    Love, Sheri

    ReplyDelete